Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A call to prayer

I work in an Arab neighborhood and live in a Jewish one.

As we gathered for lunch today at work (..which neighborhood would that be in now? ..just checking..), I looked out the window to see 4 construction workers kneeled over in prayer, as the call to prayer bellowed loudly. Such open exhibitions of faith, along side a busy road, and much less, by construction workers is NOT something I'm accustomed to being witness to. ..the sight of these 4 Muslim construction workers taking a moment to stop their work and pray, evoked conversation at the lunch table about why Christians don't near as frequently exhibit such open and public practice of faith.

The call to prayer, which sounds numerous times throughout the day, still pleasantly surprised me every time I hear it. Last week, during our weekly Communion service, the call to prayer was sounding as we recited the Lord's prayer. There was something so beautiful about that, the synchronicity of our prayers-- I bet moments like that are what God would call complete and utter bliss.

No comments: